- The brain's time to sort out things that it found to be too complex or overwhelming during the day when so many other things were competing for its attention.
- A chance for us to visit other planes, where loved ones are alive and well, and when we wake up, we think about how odd it is that those who have passed were in our dreams. Seeing them and being with them felt so natural that we didn't realize we were dreaming. I've woken up many times after dreaming about my maternal grandmother or my father and thought, "I can't believe I didn't think it odd that they were in the car with me. It didn't occur to me once that I could be dreaming."
- A chance to experience things that are impossible in our human bodies, for example, setting sail in flight simply by thinking or wishing it. Lucid dreams - dreams where you become aware that you are in a dream state and then take control of the dream by doing whatever it is you'd like - are pretty amazing. I've experienced this a few times in my life, and in each of these experiences, I have chosen to fly.
- Some people report having astral dreams, where they believe that they actually leave their body, in spirit form, and visit other realms
- A place to live out our fantasies - lacking inhibitions and with no real rules or consequences, many people awaken to find that they've lived out fantasies in their dreams that they never would or could act on in the waking state.
- A place where old and fresh wounds come to heal. I absolutely hate nightmares, yet I experience my fair share. Most of the time, in nightmares, we are being victimized in some way - often a reflection of some real experience of victimization - though the dream may be about some completely different circumstance, if you are left feeling vulnerable, helpless, and afraid, then this is one way that your subconscious is processing through an emotional wound. Practicing yoga, meditation, and positive affirmations before bed can really help with this.
- Foretelling the future. I can not recall any thing of significance that I have dreamed that has then come to pass in real life, but many people do claim to have had this experience.
What do your dreams mean to you? Where do they take you?
May you be blessed with sweet dreams, restful sleep, and magical journeys tonight.
Debbie aka Sulilo